It's A Scary World

It's been a tough day to be a parent in my little village.

There was a threatening note found at the local high school on Friday.  With no statement from the school board, RCMP or schools, you can only imagine what happened when parents of students at this school caught wind of it.  The gusts of social media gossip started, and completely spun out of control. 

Some parents chose to keep their children home.  If I'd had a child at the high school, I likely would have done the same.  There was no mention of violence towards the other 2 schools in our community, yet some parents from these schools also chose to let their kids stay home today.

I opted to send my kids.  I felt like a bad mom, but once I started to really think about it, I came to a couple of conclusions.  First of all, with all the media, parents, and police officers at all the schools, today was likely to be the safest day to send the boys to school.   Secondly, I could use this as an educating tool.  I talked to both my kids about guns, violence, bullying, and safety.  They both wanted to go to school today.  This was my choice, and I don't blame anyone who kept their kids home.  School should be a safe zone for our kids.  It makes me so sad that kids as young as 4 years old are being taught lockdown procedures at school.  Yet this is the world we are living in.

People do bad things.  We can't avoid it, and have to learn how to live with the times we are raising our kids in.  This world is a big scary place, and we're all doing our best to raise happy, well adjusted kids, all while trying not to be scared to let our kids outside to play, to go to school, or even go to church.

I want to give a huge shout out to the teachers who are doing their best to teach our kids - not only are they teaching them the basic school work, but they have to deal with things like today.  Why the doors of the school are locked, why there are police onsite, what to do if something unthinkable happens.  They're doing the best they can, and I felt safe and confident in my decision to send my children to their care today. 

Good job CDS and CAMS.  I'm sorry for the inevitable fallout of what's to be said in the days to come.  There's nothing that can be done to make every parent of every child happy, but I'm glad you had my kids today. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refresh

a bad day..