carter's story

So.. as you all can gather from having read my blog, my induction date was scheduled for June 30.  I had a regular OBS appointment, and biophysical profile scheduled for June 29.  Because there was an ultrasound involved, I thought it would be fun for my 10 year old niece to come with me, since she has been learning about babies, etc. in health class this year in school.  Abby & I show up for the appointment, and the nurses on the floor can't figure out why I'm there that day when I'm scheduled for the following day.  They make a call over to the OB/GYN on call to find out exactly what's up.  At this point, it's 11:30 am.  I headed downstairs to ultrasound to check on the babes, and go back up to the floor.

When we get back up to the maternity floor, the nurse hits me with "Dr. J has decided that we'll start induction today since we're anticipating a busy weekend.  Are you ok with going ahead now?"   My reply?  "Sure, but my hubby's at work, and I have a 10 year old support person.  Can you give me some time to get my ducks in a row?"  I was told to go have lunch, make my phone calls, and be back on the floor for assessment at 1 pm.  That was only 45 minutes away.

So, at 2 pm, with still no husband and Abby as my support person, the Dr. came in and gave me a dose of Prostin.  Mark finally arrived around 2:35 with his parents who came to get Abby.  At 3 pm, they came in to check me and told me that I could leave, but come back at 6 pm, unless I was in hard labour or my water had broken.  So, we left the hospital, Mark's folks headed home, and Mark & I went to Walmart.  I called Mom, who told me that they would be leaving as soon as they could, but it would probably be around 6 pm, as Dad was in Wolfville driving the community bus.  About 4:45, I left my supper on the table at DQ because my contractions were getting too strong to deal with in public, and we went back to the hospital. 

At 6 pm, Dr. Guptill came in to check me, and around 6:20, she broke my water.  When she did that, things sped up quickkly, and my contractions were clocking in at 3 minutes apart.  at 6:45, they called for the anethesiologist to come in to give me my epidural, and at 7:45 he showed up, and I was taken to the delivery room.  He got the epi in at 8:03.  Keep in mind that it takes approximately 25 minutes for an epidural to take effect... Carter kindly decided to arrive on the scene at 8:23 pm.  So, for any of you keeping track, I went through the torture of having a epidural put in, and 5 minutes before it started to work, the baby came.

I had Mark's sister who had come to the hospital call my folks to find out where they were, and they were in the parking lot... so, even though they weren't there for the duration, they made it just in the nick of time to meet their newest grandbaby!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a mumble jumble of thoughts

i am sick.